Little Tokyo Service Center, a Community Development Corporation, was founded in 1979 to provide linguistically and culturally appropriate social services to the Little Tokyo community and the broader Japanese American community. Its mission is to meet the critical needs of people and build community. Specifically, we:
- improve the lives of individuals and families through culturally sensitive social services.
- strengthen neighborhoods through housing and community development.
- promote the rich heritage of the ethnic community.
Over the years, service to seniors has remained a key emphasis of our social services.
Job Title: Volunteer Receptionist
Department: Social Services – General
Office Receptionists are the first point of contact for callers and visitors to the Little Tokyo Service Center. He/she may encounter many kinds of issues and situations, and sets the tone for a
welcoming, professional environment when greeting the public. The Office Receptionist interacts with
a wide range of people of different ages who come from a variety of backgrounds. He/she must be
observant and able to listen and speak with clients in an empathetic and caring manner.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Present a professional, friendly, and objective appearance to clients
- Answer and forward incoming phone calls
- Admit visitors/clients
- Receive mail/deliveries
- Handle light office work
- Deal with queries from the public and clients
- Direct questions to appropriate staff members or programs
- Maintain reception area neat and orderly
- Communicate with Office Manager and assist as needed
- Ensure knowledge of staff movements in and out of organization
- Monitor visitor access and maintain security awareness
- Maintain objectivity and non-judgmental demeanor
- Value and respect clients, and protect their confidentiality
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- Japanese or Korean language skills a plus.
- Knowledge of working with multicultural communities.
- Ability to interact with diverse clients, staff, and visitors
- Ability to operate multi-line phones
- Strong ability to problem-solve
- Experience with and commitment to Asian American communities
- Background in Social Services or related field a plus
- Minimum commitment of 4 hours per week.
- Volunteers may select from ten 4-hour shifts per week.
If you are interested in volunteering, please fill out the volunteer application form. Return the form as an email attachment to
[Click here to download the volunteer form]